Marcin Waligora, PhD. Professor and Vice Dean for Scientific Development, Faculty of Health Science at Jagiellonian University.
His research focuses on ethical and policy challenges of pediatric research and structural and social problems of clinical trials in the region of Central and Eastern Europe.
In 2017-2018 he worked as the Fulbright Visiting Scholar in the Harvard Medical School Center for Bioethics.
Waligora is a leader of the REMEDY, Research Ethics in Medicine Study Group. He served as a member of the Management Committee on the COST Action “Disaster Bioethics: addressing ethical issues triggered by disasters” (IS 1201).
Waligora also won Scholarship for Outstanding Young Scientists from the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (2014-2017) and participated in SKILLS-Mentoring, a program financed by the Foundation for Polish Science.
Dr. Waligóra teaches courses on ethics, medical ethics and bioethics. He received his PhD in philosophy from the Jagiellonian University (with additional training at the International Academy of Philosophy in Santiago de Chile). Marcin Waligóra also graduated from the NIH-Funded Program Research Ethics in Central and Eastern Europe.
- Wasylewski MT, Strzebonska K, Koperny M, Polak M, Kimmelman J, Waligora M (2020), Clinical development success rates and social value of pediatric Phase 1 trials in oncology, PLoS ONE 15(6): e0234911. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0234911
- Strzebonska K, Wasylewski MT, Zaborowska L, Riedel N, Wieschowski S, Strech D, Waligora M. Results dissemination of registered clinical trials across Polish academic institutions: a cross-sectional analysis, BMJ Open. 2020 Jan 22;10(1):e034666. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2019-034666
- Strzebonska K, Waligora M, Umbrella and basket trials in oncology: ethical challenges, BMC Med Ethics. 2019 Aug 23;20(1):58. doi: 10.1186/s12910-019-0395-5
- Strzebonska K, Waligora M, Underestimation of Harms in Phase I Trials, The Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics, 2019 Jun;47(2):334-335. doi: 10.1177/1073110519857290
- Kimmelman J, Waligora M, Fernandez Lynch H, Participants Protection in Phase1 Pediatric Cancer Trials, JAMA Pediatrics 2019;173(1):8-9. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2018.3629
- Waligora M, Bala MM, Koperny M, Wasylewski MT, Strzebonska K, Jaeschke RR, Wozniak A, Piasecki J, Sliwka A, Mitus JW, Polak M, Nowis D, Fergusson D, Kimmelman J, Risk and surrogate benefit for pediatric Phase I trials in oncology: A systematic review with meta-analysis, PLoS Med 15(2): e1002505. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002505
- Waligora M, Strzebonska K, Wasylewski MT, Neither the Harm Principle nor the Best Interest Standard Should Be Applied to Pediatric Research, American Journal of Bioethics, 2018 Aug;18(8):72-74. doi: 10.1080/15265161.2018.1485762
- Piasecki J, Dranseika V, Waligora M, Should Epidemiological Studies Be Subject to Ethics Review?, Public Health Ethics, 2017, phx016. doi: 10.1093/phe/phx016
- Dranseika V, Gefenas E, Waligora M, Broadening the “Infrastructure Effect”: Lessons from the Early Development of Research Ethics in Eastern Europe, The American Journal of Bioethics, 2016 Jun; 16(6):26-8. doi: 10.1080/15265161.2016.1170243
- Mezinska S, Kakuk P, Mijaljica G, Waligóra M, O’Mathúna DP, Research in disaster settings: a systematic qualitative review of ethical guidelines, BMC Medical Ethics, 2016, 17:62. doi: 10.1186/s12910-016-0148-7
- Waligora M, Rozynska J, Piasecki J, Child’s objection to non-beneficial research: capacity and distress based models, Medicine, Health Care and Philosophy 2016 Mar;19(1):65-70. doi: 10.1007/s11019-015-9643-8
- M. Waligora, V. Dranseika, J. Piasecki, Child’s assent in research: Age threshold or personalisation?, BMC Medical Ethics 2014, 15:44. doi: 10.1186/1472-6939-15-44
- M. Waligora Failures in Clinical Trials in the European Union: Lessons from the Polish Experience, Science and Engineering Ethics 2013 Sep; 19(3):1087-98. doi:10.1007/s11948-012-9400-9
More information at the remedy.edu.pl